Monday, 2 February 2009

My Most Expensive Pens

I know the girls that read this will relate, probably not the writers, but the frugal ones will.

Yesterday, I went to Tesco (like a Smith's Marketplace) to buy a few things. One thing on my list was a writing marker pen. I browsed the aisle and found a package of three felt tip pens, one with a 0.3 mm point, a 0.5, and a 0.7 mm. I was excited to see the tag over it said 80p (80 pence) The package went into my cart!

At the check-out, I calculated and thought I spent around 12 pounds. The lady in front of me was buying two sets of groceries and one of her items didn't scan, so someone had to go back and find what wasn't working, grab a new one... etc. Well, you know the drill.

Anyway, there were a bunch of us waiting in this que (line). So when the guy rang my stuff up, he said the total was 16 pounds. I was a little surprised, but was in a hurry, so just left.

I drove home (~30 minutes), opened my pens and tried out the width of the line. They were pretty cool.

This morning, I found the receipt in my trouser (pants) pocket and those pens were over 4 pounds!!! Now, it is un-economical to drive back to the store and I have already opened them. I feel a little tricked...

I guess I am stuck with these pens. I guess I wouldn't mind spending that much if... the pens Looked expensive, but they look cheap. Blah!!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

i can totally relate. i grabbed a bag of tangelos, buy one get one. it was a great deal. $3 a bag. when they cashier rang them up, they were $8 a bag! I told him what the sign said and they gave it to me for that price. lucky me, but i hate it when something says one price and it rings up so much more expensive. annoying.

Miss Heather said...

That drives me nuts! BUT I can say I have paid high prices for pens that write well before... because I'm picky about my pens!

Miss Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.